This is a true story.
Aren’t we all familiar with the most popular do’s and don’ts required when setting up our CV? Let me share some with you.
- Don’t Steal the Job Description’s Exact Wording
- Do Include Soft Skills, Too!
- Do Consider Volunteer or Other Non-Work Experience
- Do Consider a Summary Statement
- Don’t Try to Hide Gaps
- Do Tell the Truth
- Don’t Use Clichés or Jargon
- Do Use Real English
- Do Keep it to One Page
- Do Consider a Creative or Digital Resume
- Don’t Send it as a Word Document
- Don’t Forget to Spell Check
And so on, and so forth..
Let me just share one important one with you based on my true story.
Be sure to know the exact meaning of all the words/sentences in your résumé. If you are not 100% certain what a word means, just google it, never assume it means what you think it means.
So why am i freaked out about this?
I was reading through my résumé recently to include recent updates and proofread one more time (proof-reading is never too much by the way), then i noticed under my summary, i wrote and i quote “i have working knowledge of WordPress”.
I knew technical knowledge meant having deep practical understanding of something and wondered why i didn’t use that. I decided to google “what is working knowledge” and guess what i found?
Noun. working knowledge (uncountable) A knowledge of how to make something work without any deeper understanding of why it works, or of how to fix it if it breaks..
Do i need to tell you i was heartbroken and in tears? This could be why those remote positions and contracts eluded at a time 😭😭😭😭
Word of advise; no human knows everything, everyone makes mistakes, just make sure you don’t repeatedly make the same mistakes, don’t forget the right things to do, and do it when you should.
- Image source; https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-best-answer-to-why-do-you-want-to-join-us-that-generally-satisfies-hr-interviewer
- Know-how means; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know-how
- Technical knowledge means; https://www.quora.com/What-does-technical-knowledge-mean-when-people-say-that-you-should-have-a-strong-technical-hand-to-get-good-job
- Still using traditional CV🙄? Digital CV are the next thing, get an overview; https://www.themuse.com/advice/5-digital-tools-that-will-make-your-resume-infinitely-more-beautiful and watch this space right on my blog for the next best thing.